The 5th Golden Tree International Documentary Film Festival
The GOLDEN TREE International Documentary Film Festival (GTIDFF), which takes place every fall in Frankfurt, Germany, and is now in its 5th year, aims to encourage greater global attention on documentary film and to promote quality films focusing on diverse civilizations and cultures from across the world. The festival has become an important bridge for cultural content linking eastern and western documentary markets and is establishing itself as a valuable resource for distribution within China and development of content between China and the world.
GTIDFF encourages the submission of films from all countries. We look for films with a focus on our changing world that express unique perspective, that highlight innovation or perhaps capture a dying tradition. Culture is a broad topic, replete with multiple interpretations and we promote the examination and expression of all. Our aim each year is to produce a program that provides our audiences with meaningful and thought-provoking questions about the world we live in.
There is no registration fee. Proof of registration entitles you to two (2) free passes the Golden Tree Festival, giving you access to all industry activities.
The Organizing Committee also engages in the market, connecting filmmakers with opportunities for distribution as well as produces an annual industry forum where projects in development are linked with possible funding or co-production. Please see our website for more details on project submission and lab participation.
Theme, Time and Location
2020 Theme: Technical Development and the Roots of Culture
Festival date TBA : 22-25 October, 2020
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Accepting submission between : November 15th , 2019 - May 30th, 2020
Awards and Prize
1. Golden Tree Award, Prize: 5000 EUR
2. Best Feature Film, Prize: 5000 EUR
3. Best Medium-Length Documentary, Prize: 3000 EUR
4. Best Short Documentary, Prize: 2000 EUR
5. Best Director, 2000 EUR
6. Best Cinematography Prize: 2000 EUR
7. Best Editing, Prize: 2000 EUR
8. Best Musical Score, Prize: 2000 EUR
9. Best Emerging Filmmaker，Prize: 1500 EUR
10. Best Youth, Prize: 2000 EUR
11. Special Jury Award, Prize: 5000 EUR
Film genre: Documentary
Theme: Technical Development and the Roots of Culture
Film length definition:
Documentary Long: Longer than 60 minutes;
Documentary Medium-Length: 20-60 minutes (including 60 minutes);
Documentary Short: 20 minutes or less (including 20 minutes);
Registration fee: Free
Film completion time: After January 1st, 2018. The registered film must be a completely finished documentary film. All films shall not contain any elements that are hostile to other countries, cause religious or ethnic conflicts etc, and shall not cover pornography, violence and racial discrimination.
Subtitles: All registered films must come with English subtitles.
Please register your film, as well as upload your screener and photos through the FilmFreeway website.
- Applicants shall ensure the authenticity, completeness, and accuracy of the registration information, and bear the legal liability arising from false information. Application materials will not be returned and will be retained by the organizing committee for archival purposes.
- The applicant (individual or institution) who registered the film must have full copyrights or agent rights of the film. Moreover, the applicant shall guarantee that the film is not involved in any kind of copyright dispute, In case of any disputes regarding the film’s copyright, the applicant will bear full responsibility.
- Applicants that register for the 5th Golden Tree International Documentary Film Festival 2020 agree to accept the aforementioned terms and rules as well as allow us to use your email address for contact purposes.
- If your film is selected you must provide a high-definition version of MP4 or DCP format file. The organizing committee shall not pay any screening fee, dilivery、travel or entertainment expenses. If you are a sales agent and are interested in submitting documentary, please contact us directly.
- The organizing committee has the right to use the application materials including stills, posters and trailers of the registered film on printed products, publicity trailers, in cinema, television, internet, mobile television and other public places.
- If there are any changes to the rules, the change shall be announced on the official website of the Golden Tree. Applicants are entitled to withdraw from the event if they do not accept the amended terms.
Office : Hanauer Landstr. 52, 60314 Frankfurt am Main,Germany
Golden Tree International Documentary Film
Festival Organizing Committee